Monday 10 December 2012

Russian Mint Cookies

I found this recipe on a Russian page by googling mint cookies. I can only roughly read and understand Russian, so I am only sure about the ingredients and the cooling down and baking time :) In Russian they are called Мятное печенье.

The original recipe calls for fresh peppermint, but I only had dried one. I was not quite sure what amount of dried peppermint equalled 30 g fresh peppermint, so I used 15 g and the cookies became rather green. So, I suggest 10 g would do the trick. 
Those cookies are very different from 'usual' peppermint cookies. Until now, I only knew peppermint sweets, that tasted like peppermint syrup, but these taste like the actual herb. Like cookie-ish peppermint tea :) 


All you need is:

30 g fresh peppermint (or about 10 g dried one; I used 15 g dried one)
85 g sugar
1 egg
100 g butter at room temperature
180-200 g flour

Blend fresh peppermint and sugar in  the blender with those little knifes at the bottom, to cut the leaves into very little pieces. If you use dried ground peppermint, just mix peppermint and sugar in a bowl. In a bowl add one egg to the mixture .

This is dried ground peppermint mixed with sugar and the egg. 


After having added butter and flour, form 3-4 logs, each 2.5 - 3 cm in diameter, and wrap them in cling foil. Put them into the fridge for half an hour


Then, preheat the oven to 180°C, get your logs out of the fridge, discard the foil and cut the logs into slices, about 0.5 cm. They make about two baking trays full of cookies.  Bake them for about 15-20 minutes.


Mine have turned out a bit dark, but it is mainly because I used dried peppermint, which is darker than fresh one, and a bit too much. Nevertheless, the cookies are yummie :) Well, I love peppermint :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment